Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Whole New TBR

    Hope y'all like my awful, thrown-together-in-five-minutes header! I'm getting the hang of things, okay. Anyway, inspired by the video from the lovely Cece at problemsofabooknerd on youtube, I've decided to do Spookathon! I've been in a reading slump, and I've been wanting to get in the spirit of Halloween, so hopefully this will kick my ass into gear!


Challenges & Books:

1. Read A Thriller
    For this, I'll be reading Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough. It's about two sisters, Cora and Mimi, who are sent to spend time with their great Aunt in a secluded village called Bryers Guerdon. Their arrival reawakens an evil that has held the village in its grip for centuries. The girls and two local boys have to unravel the history of the town's hall and church, to save the younger sister. I saw this on display at my local library and loved the cover, so I had to pick it up. Who knows the quality, but it sure is pretty to look at. Besides, I'm super a sucker for small towns with dark secrets, its one of my favorite sub-genres and I always am looking for more to read!

2. Read a Book With a Spooky Word in the Title
    This is completely cheating because it's actually just a reread, but you can't stop me. For this one, I'll be reading slaughterhouse by James Roberts. Six months after restarting their quest after a stop at home, the Lost Light finds itself in a rather strange situation. Rewind's final message to his grieving husband suddenly ends in a scream instead of "I love you." A strange coffin appears. Parts of the ship are going missing, followed by members of the crew. It's left to those remaining to get to the bottom of the mystery. While More Than Meets the Eye is definitely a comedy, this arc is pretty unnerving. It uses familiar horror tropes, but the happy ending makes up for it I think! And "slaughterhouse" is definitely a spooky word.

3. Read a Book Based on a Childhood Fear 
    You know what I'm scared of? Home invasion. A serial killer coming after me. Always have been. I have, mayhaps, watched too much horror in my life and from too young an age. Anyway. Stephanie Perkins There's Someone In Your House seems pretty fitting, at least I think so. It's about Makani Young adjusting to life in Nebraska with her Grandmother, after a life in Hawaii that still haunts her. Local teens in her town start dying in gruesome ways, and it seems like it's only a matter of time before she's struck down. That's really all I know, but it should be fun, I think? If anything it'll be fun camp horror, which I'm always a fan of.

4/5. Read a Book with Orange on the Cover/Read a Book with a Spooky Setting
    Twofer for this. Spellbook of Lost and Found by Moira Fowley-Doyle. Things start to go missing, starting with the small until it's evident that bigger things are missing. Two friends, Olive and Rose, meet three mysterious strangers - Ivy, Hazel, and Rowan - who've lost something and have secrets of their own. The group discovers a spellbook that could bring back what was lost and set things right. But, there's a chance it could bring about disaster and things never meant to be found. Cece mentioned this in her video about Spookathon, and it sounded right up my alley. The cover makes me feel the chill of autumn, which is a definite plus in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment