Friday, October 13, 2017

The Evil Abuse Victim & Why I Decided to Not Finish Strange The Dreamer

    Over the summer I decided to pick up Strange The Dreamer by Laini Taylor. I hadn't read anything by her prior, but I knew she was a darling in the YA reader community, and I heard many, many positive things about her newest book. So when I saw it at the library, I decided to check it out. What would the harm be? I ended up sorely disappointed, and actually quite upset. I DNF'd the book only partway through and have no intention of trying it out again.

    To start with the positive, I can see why Taylor is so popular. Her prose is beautiful and was an absolute pleasure to read. The words flowed together wonderfully, and on that front I was quite captured by it. Lazlo was a charming lead character, and I enjoyed his quiet presence and good nature. The mystery intrigued me- I was curious about the world she'd built. I was invested, incredibly so. Which is one of the reasons I was so disappointed; I didn't want to give up this magical world, but ultimately did.

    See, I often find myself drawn to characters who are abuse victims. I was immediately drawn to Thyon, feeling a sort of kinship to him. My relationship with my mother is not one of physical abuse, but I find comfort in characters with even a slight similarity to my own experiences. Maybe this is my own fault, I don't know, but it's resulted in a strong aversion to the trope of "Characters Who Suffer Abuse Become Evil." And when Thyon threw Lazlo's kindness back in his face, I felt honestly crushed. The narrative began reminding me of that common story element that pits the good, kindhearted abuse survivor (though I'm aware Lazlo technically isn't one, but he did suffer from parental abandonment) against the angry, bitter abuse survivor. It's something that makes me feel shame for my own anger over what's been taken from me.

    So feeling disheartened I skipped around in the book, to see where the plot went next. I was then hit with another trope I hate: the "Your Real Parents Really Love You." This one is only somewhat linked to my personal experiences, but it nevertheless frustrates and kind of upsets me. I don't have any "real parents" who actually love me, and abandoned me against their will, I don't have some mysterious past to be unlocked. I am simply as I am, a victim of abuse who is trying my best to be a better person.

    I see the value in these kinds of stories, and how other abuse victims may find comfort in them. I don't want to take that away from anyone, because I really do understand the why. They just aren't for me, and I think my voice on the matter is just as important as any other's.

No comments:

Post a Comment